Saturday, January 23, 2010

cambodia.


Relentless. Constantly aware of the sun and finding the nearest shadow and how to get under it. Relentless. Emotional landscapes, both outer and inner. Cambodia is thick; the air, the history, the present are haunting. I wish I could spend more time here.


This past week I have had the honor and pleasure to meet the incredible staff of the Brahmavihara Cambodia AIDS project and meditate and work with them. (www.brahmavihara.cambodiaaidsproject.org) After learning Reiki, I was allowed to visit patients with the staff. After one period of meditation and beautiful chanting, we set out for the hospital. Entering the room, with my face sweating under my mask, my heart sank and opened immediately. Death and sickness right there, exactly as it is. I followed Ramo to watch him do Reiki, healing touch and massage. The other Bodhisattvas of the group each went to a bed to visit with someone. First, Ramo talked to a slight man with deep brown eyes, likely asking how he was feeling, what's been causing pain lately. The man pointed to his shins which had many scars and bruises; his legs were very thin. Ramo nodded and took out the "monkey balm" which is like tiger balm, everyone loves it here. He massaged the man's temples, forehead and neck, who in turn became extremely calm. I realized that I became calm as well. I looked around the room and realized that Soeun, Sok Ny and Preoungh had all started Reiki on their patients. What began as a somewhat hectic room with children running around, people coughing and yelling, suddenly was transformed. The whole hall was quiet, the settledness was palpable. Focused loving energy was being channelled. The patients looked so at ease. I had never seen anything like this...
more in a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment